Here’s How You Can Search For Words in a Photo Using Google Photos.

Google has finally integrated the text recognition feature that was spotted on Google Lens into Google Photos.  Moving forward,  you can now search for words that appear in an image on Photos.

To test this is, type any word that shows up in the image you’re searching for, in this case, “frozen yogurt” and then wait for your result to pop up

It does support non-Latin and non-English searches too.

This was innovated by utilizing the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) that was found on Google Lens.  So, in essence, once you’ve found the image you’re looking for,  you can then tap the Google Lens button to select and copy it in order to paste it elsewhere.

During my test, I noticed that it didn’t work with some photos that had the text I was searching for — (case-in-point, the ‘Pinkberry’ text from the picture above) — this could be as a result of the fact that it hasn’t been fully optimized, yet. But away from that, I can see how this feature can come in handy especially in our daily activities.

What do you think?

10 comments on “Here’s How You Can Search For Words in a Photo Using Google Photos.

1. JohnJuwel says:

but do android 7.1 version supports this feature or from 9.0 above?

2. Covenant Oyetade says:

Brilliant! 👍 This will be highly useful, once it’s fully optimized.

… WELL, THIS IS A VERY HANDY AND USEFUL FEATURE. I LOVE AND I’M HAPPY WITH THIS. BY THE ⌚ THIS IS FULLY BAKED, IT WILL BECOME A MUST USE FEATURE IN SEARCH.
    GOOGLE HAS BEEN MAKING LIFE EASIER SINCE 0000 AD…

4. WOW, Google just keep impressing us….

5. Abdulsamad Umar says:

Google is one of the few Top brands that is working really here to create a good user experience for their users… Superb feature from Google

6. Nice feature… I’ve gotta put this on my site [URL]FaqonTech.com[URL]

7. And it’s finally here…. thanks for this

8. Flushreview says:

I think if Google can flushreview or optimize this feature to use “alt” tag in photos, it will be very good for SEO that will push heavy traffics for bloggers.

Bloggers will only require to input alt tags in their photos and voilà! Traffics starts coming in from users who loves searching from photos.

9. Princewill says: