It’s raining Smartphones at the MWC 2019 and Huawei has caught me unaware:

The company unveiled the Mate X, a Galaxy fold killer:

The device features three displays:

• A 6.6-inch display on the front.
  • A 6.3-inch display on the rear.
  • An 8-inch tablet-like display when the device is unfolded.

Also, unlike the Galaxy Fold, the Mate X’s display folds on the outside of the device.

According to Huawei, its out-folding design is more durable than Samsung’s in-folding implementation, presumably because it has a smaller bending radius. It’s also slimmer than Samsung’s Galaxy Fold effort

As far as specs are concerned, you get a 6.6-inch screen of 2480 x 1148 pixels. The other one, with the spine, is 6.38 inches across and 2480 x 892 pixels in resolution. You also get dual-SIM support and expandable storage. Inside, the Mate X will feature the Kirin 980 which also powers the Mate 20 Pro, you also get 5G support with downloads speeds of up to 7.5Gbps.  Powering the device is a dual-battery with a 4,500mAh capacity, supported by a 55W fast-charging system, this lets users charge their phone from flat to 85% in 30 minutes.

Currently, the 8G RAM and 512GB storage version of the Mate X will sell for €2,299 when it launches in mid-2019.

That is about N940,000

Price aside, which of the folds do you like— the Galaxy Fold or the Mate X?

10 comments on “The Battle of the Folds: Huawei Just Unveiled its Foldable Device, And I Am Here For it!

1. Alexius Ide says:

Omo none of them that’s almost somebody’s school fees in a private University like after babalola or covenant for a device not laptop abeg The technology is impressive and expensive but… Oh well that price check back… With me never 😂😂😂

2. Abdulsalam Abdulrahman says:

The Mate X looks better but the price mehn
    I’ll buy a new Razer Blade Stealth¹³ and change will remain

3. Princewill says:

Initial I don’t like this folding smartphone stuff but after seeing Samsung and of course this one, I can say I am now liking it, mehn this Huawei version is super cool

4. This is super costly

Mehn

I can start a mini business with such amount of money
    Election battles going on in Nigeria
    Technological battles going on in other countries

I weep for who nor weep for naija

BTW the phone is really nice

5. Tobi Mojeed says:

This year will be a great one with a lot of new devices that will be launched. The Mate X is a great foldable device from Huawei and will surely compete with the Samsung Fold

6. JohnJuwel says:

Hey miss TECHY
    As we all can see it’s no brainer, that Huawei will possibly kick Samsung out of the market on this.
    and I strongly believe that if Samsung comes out first, which we re expecting by the 2nd quarter of the year, Huawei (The chinco family) will do there there best to do more base on the killer specs, mind blowing functionality and we all know cheapest in the foldable market.

I STAND WITH HUAWEI MATE X📱

… WELL, THE FOLDABLES ARE ALREADY UPON US. SAMSUNG THE TRAILBLAZER AND HUAWEI CHASING ALONG. MEANWHILE, LAST YEAR, AN AXIOM PHONE 📱 CAME UP WITH THAT, BUT NOT IN THIS LEVEL THOUGH.
    I THINK I LOVE THE MATE X’S APPROACH, BUT THINK OF SAMSUNG’S PRICE AND TGE FACT THAT IT CAN BE CLOSED( FOLDED IN).
    THE TWO ARE EXPENSIVE THOUGH.
    I WISH I CAN LAY MY HANDS ON THEM BOTH…

8. Emmanuel Okolonta says:

I think in my opinion, The mate X definitely looks cooler than the samsung fold but the price is a real killer. How can i be carrying 2 plots of land or possibly a benz in my pocket 😋

9. Oludiran john says:

To me, a folding phone is useless because it’s not really solving any problem. But it can show that you’re rich

10. phumitech says:

I like the fact that a smart phone and a tablet are incorporated in one single device… This definitely brings more to the table and i hope to see more african dominated tech producers like the infinix and tecno play around with this.