The News We’ve Been Waiting For—Xiaomi is Set to Expand into African Markets.

When I read the report yesterday, the first thing that came to mind were these comments made by Adewale:

…And Jason_Sleek:

Well, it seems the tech gods have finally hearkened unto y(our) prayers.

According to the report, Xiaomi is set to establish offices in Africa.

This was revealed in a memo that Xiaomi confirmed with the Global Times. In the memo, Xiaomi’s African Regional Department will be headed by Wang Lingming and he will report to Wang Xiang.

However, industry insiders claim that Xiaomi “will not pose great challenges to the region’s current market leader, China-based Transsion, in the short term,” the reason is based on the fact that “Xiaomi’s phones will be too expensive for Africans if the company doesn’t adjust prices to location conditions and consumer’s low purchasing power.”

Although this is quite valid, I’d like to believe:

For one, Xiaomi phones currently sold on Jumia global are quite affordable, especially when compared to phones with similar specs, and if the company establishes its presence, the prices could reduce to an extent, plus we get access to after-sales service.

Also, there is this report that claims that Xiamoi could launch Redmi Go phones in Africa, which could cost less than N35,000.

iTel right now:

No words on the exact date Xiaomi is expected to officially kick off, but we’ve been waiting for years, so a little wait cannot hurt, right?

Who is excited?

14 comments on “The News We’ve Been Waiting For—Xiaomi is Set to Expand into African Markets.

1. Araoye Gbadebo says:

Definitely a good news, I heard and I red so much about this mobile phone brand, it will be a great thing to finally have it here in Nigeria. People would love it.

1. Danmola Ahmodu-Rufai says:

Jump am pass, no need for HBP till dey show . still on a Tecno pourvior2 pro level,I can’t come and kill my self.(miss tobi😋)

… WELL, SOMEHOW, I’M EXCITED BUT IN THE OTHER HAND, NO. I’M NOT SURE I REALLY WOULD JUMP SHIP 🛳, BUT THEN, WHO KNOWS. AFTER SALES SERVICE IS VERY IMPORTANT AND THAT’S WHAT THEY ARE ABOUT TO CATER FOR NOW.
    @MISSTECHYNG, THE GIFS HERE ARE CRAZY 🤪 😂…

3. Lol I was super excited when I saw this newsletter
    But looking at my pocket there is nothing to say

Shaa till when they officially launch

4. Princewill says:

I am happy and quite excited

5. Kaybang says:

😂😂😂 Itel.

Please whoever you are come and pursue that useless arm of those transsion boys away.

Psst, side note, if you can pursue transsion in its entirety, wow, wow wow wow wow.. ☺☺
    I’m just trying to imagine the second coming of Jesus before the second coming of Jesus

1. Oke Umurhohwo says:

LOL. We at itel are not afraid of any of the competition. We are ready

1. Kaybang says:

E go shock u. Shēybí u go still dey comment for misstechy by that time? No worries…

1. Oke Umurhohwo says:

Like i said, we are not scared. They are welcomed

6. Anonymous man says:

Wow……
    I’ve used xiaomi phones for 3 years now,cause what infinix sells to us as flagships in Nigeria are actually mid rangers elsewhere.
    Imagine paying 60k plus for a snapdragon 450 when 55k gets you a 636.
    I’ve enjoyed my unofficial xiaomis with no real issues on them(apart from my mi note 2 which crashed for no reason……I got it working again tho)
    Xiaomi coming to Nigeria would be great
    And if the prices are too high,AliExpress always sells at the cheapest prices
    Just use xiaomi’s presence for after sale support

7. Oke Umurhohwo says:

Dear Tobi,
    itel Mobile will be fine. We are ready for the competition ahead and fully focused on increasing our market share.
    Bring Xiaomi on, no shaking

1. Tobi Ayeni says:

Lol, yay! Can’t wait!

8. @Jason_Sleek says:

Wows!!

This just made my day!
    Don’t have to AliExpress anymore!

Welcome, awon goons “MI” 😊😊

9. JohnJuwel says:

OH….
    HOW WE HAD HIGH HOPES FOR XIAOMI COMING TO AFRICA MARKET BEFORE THE CAME INTO NIGERIA WITH THEIR FIRST SMARTPHONE, THAT TURNED THE TABLE UPSIDE DOWN.
    I JUST HOPE THEY HIT THE BEST COME-BACK OF 2019 (meaning: we want more better phone than what xiaomi lately realising for the Africa market) AT LEAST A BETTER AND A CHEAP PHONE CAN BE USED AS A START.