Picture this, you set two alarms for 6.30 am because you have a job interview. The only problem is, you woke up at 8 am because your Android phone thought it wise to kill all the background processes including your alarm app.

That is how aggressive some phone manufacturers are when it comes background processes.

In their defense, they do this to increase the battery life on a smartphone by using software optimizers to cut down on unwanted usage. Sometimes, it does a good job, especially for applications like Facebook. However, it can also become quite aggressive to a point where some of your important applications like Gmail suddenly stop running.

To shed light on the issue, the guys at Urbandroid launched a website called Don’t kill my app to show off the top offenders.

Check them out:

Nokia takes the lead (shocking, right?), while OnePlus ranks second worst, followed by Xiaomi, Huawei, Meizu, Sony, Samsung, HTC, stock Android, and “Other vendors” — Tecno and Infinix, I see you!

However, the good news is that DontKillMyApp.com also provided a way to fix this issue for each manufacturer, for example, you could force close the ‘battery protection app’ on some Nokia devices that have this enabled:

To check out the processes for other devices click here.

Over to you guys, how well does your current smartphone handle background processes?

15 comments on “Please Don’t Kill My Apps: These Phone Manufacturers Suck When it Comes to Handling Background Processes.

1. Kehinde Adeleke says:

I have 1gb of ram and I’m running android 8. 1 go edition, the way background processes are killed ehnnnnnnnnn. It gets really frustrating especially when I use the Night filter app at night, I have to open it over and over and over. It’s tough.

2. For me the whole idea of cutting down background processes is cool because of the advantages it gives. Whenever I discover I have too many background processes I do stop them myself. I use a 2GB ram phone and I really hate it when a phone is not responding fast.

3. Kaybang says:

The early morning notifications back with a vengeance. Oh yes.

“…you set two alarms for 6.30 am because you have a job interview. The only problem is, you woke up at 8 am because your Android phone thought it wise to kill all the background processes including your alarm app.”
    I’m sorry but if your phone truly does this it was manufactured by Cyberdyne Systems and its operating system is actually based on Skynet. SELL THAT PHONE QUICK. 😏

1. Olajumoke Tewogbade says:

lol you have never jam alarm apps now, some of them don’t stay in the background .. personally I use the stock alarm app cos I want to avoid stories that touch

1. Kaybang says:

Waiiit, there r 3rd party alarm apps? 😮
        What do they do that the stock app doesn’t? Is it not the same “wake up”, “go to market”, “take my clothes in”, “watch Man Utd match😏” etc etc etc?

2. Princewill says:

Hahahahahaaha…. I’ve missed Ur comments

3. Abdul Abdul says:

Kaybang with the crazy comments 🤣🤣🤣

4. That’s one reason I really commend infinix

It known the type of approach to kill its background functions and not important apps like alarms or reminder

I set alarm to repeat everyday and it doesn’t fell

Well in every advantage

There’s still a disadvantage

5. Araoye Gbadebo says:

As for me, I’m OK with what “Kill my app” is doing, as long as it’s gives my phone battery a long life. As for the alarm issue, that will be carried out on my feature phone

6. Suleiman says:

Background apps can be a killer to battery.

To find a middle ground is what will do

1. Laide says:

true, but that means giving you a Abit of control and not assuming that all apps need to be killed

… WELL,IT CAN BE PRETTY ANNOYING. I HOPE MANY PEOPLE WILL NOW KNOW WHY SOME PHONES ARE FASTER THAN SAMSUNG PHONES, ITS TO THE DISADVANTAGE OF THE CONSUMERS.
    MY INFINIX NOT 5 THOUGH IS AN ANDROID ONE 📱, IT HAS NOT BEEN PLAYING AMAKA ON ME ON THIS LEVEL…

8. Katumu Adasi says:

That is why I seems to like Gionee phone a lot. They are very good in handling background process.