The S9 Launches With A $720 (N250,000+) Price Tag!

The S9 and S9+ are finally upon us!
Breakthrough Energy Coalition
From a Super Slow-Mo video recording mode that’s smart enough to sense motion, to an Animoji replacement, Samsung has gone out of their way to ensure that these are the best phones of 2018.

As for the specs, check them out below:

S9
Galaxy S9+
Price $720 $840
Display
5.8 inches (2960 x 1440 pixels) 6.2 inches (2960 x 1440 pixels)
Camera
12-MP SuperSpeed Dual Pixel (f/1.5 – f/2.4) 12-MP SuperSpeed Dual Pixel (f/1.5 – f/2.4), 12-MP telephoto with 2x zoom (f/2.4)
Front Camera
8-MP (f/1.7) 8-MP (f/1.7)
CPU
Snapdragon 845 Snapdragon 845
RAM
4GB 6GB
Storage
64GB 64GB
microSD
Up to 400GB Up to 400GB
Battery
3,000 mAh 3,500 mAh
Colors
Midnight Black, Coral Blue, Lilac Purple Midnight Black, Coral Blue, Lilac Purple
Size
5.8 x 2.7 x 0.33 inches 6.2 x 2.9 x 0.33 inches
Weight
5.8 ounces 6.7 ounces

DESIGN AND BUILD

In terms of design and build, they both look similar to the S8 and S8+, which are gorgeous phones, but Samsung has said that it made the bezels on the Infinity Display a bit narrower on the top and bottom while making the iris scanner above the screen more subtle.

They’ve also fixed the fingerprint placement by moving it beneath the rear camera, as opposed to the side.

ALL ABOUT THE CAMERA:

This is one aspect the S9 and S9+ shine! Although it packs the same 12 MP resolution as the S8, the camera now offers a variable aperture that is mechanical, so you can switch from f1.5 to f2.4 almost immediately. Also, thanks to the double aperture, the S9 will be able to let in up to 80 percent more light, there is also a multi-frame noise reduction which Samsung claims, reduces noise by up to 30 percent.

However, the main USP of the S9’s camera is the Super Slow-Mo, which slows things down all the way to 960 frames per second at 720p resolution!!!!!! That is:

THE ANIMOJI KILLER?

AR Emoji officially debuts with the S9 and S9+, and this allows you to turn yourself into an animated 3D emoji (More like a Nintendo Mii-like character, in my opinion). AR Emoji will also allow you to create 18 AR emoji stickers you can share with others right from the keyboard in various apps, including messaging.

Similar to the iPhone X, you can also create videos with sound using your AR Emoji, complete with facial expressions. However, based on the various reviews, they looked a bit wonky.

ANSWER TO FACE ID?

Samsung has also included a new intelligent scan feature which combines iris scanning with facial recognition, this isn’t exactly Samsung’s answer to Apple’s Face ID, but it’s great to see it included all the same.

MORE VOLUME!

YAS to this!
The S9 now comes with stereo speakers tuned by AKG that can pump out 1.4 times more volume. In addition to that, they also support Dolby Atmos to add more audio effect.

Other  things to note about the S9 and S9+ include:
  • The new DeX dock which lets you use the headphone jack or use your phone as a mouse and keyboard.
  • Unfortunately, the S9 still uses Quick 2.0
  • YES, there is still a headphone jack!

If there is one aspect where the S9 and S9+ shines, it’s in the camera and I really can’t wait to see what it can do!
So, what do you think?

20 comments on “The S9 Launches With A $720 (N250,000+) Price Tag!

1. This is one brand that can make me shell out ₦250,000 for a device someday.
    Not a fan of face scanner , finger print is enough..
    Hope we’ll be getting a full review Misstechy?
    Nice one from Samsung.

1. tarela tawari says:

You know damn well that 250k price tag is on paper. Expect to pay 400+ in Nigerian retail outlets

2. Lanre Akogun says:

Not a lot of new differences, but it is Samsung. I am not so freaked about the slow mo because in my opinion there is an app for that. But let’s see what this thing can do in the reviews.

1. Danny says:

ode😒… didirin oshi… what do you know? 😒 abeg curve.. illiterate 💔😒😒😒

1. Dave says:

Err this comment is uncalled for.

3. Abdul Abdul says:

Samsung,company wey no sabi make bad phone 🙌….Samsung any day anytime
    hallelu hallelu hallelujah!!!

4. Kemi Oguntayo says:

Yeeessss they have answered my prayers by moving that awkward positioned finger print scanner. Now time to see who can borrow me 250k they are not using

5. tee says:

Good thing they don’t cost $999… Still chilling for LG’s 2018 flagship offering sha
    BTW, this means the price of thE s8 Will be reduced, so the s7 will have no choice than to be cheaper, meaning the s6 will drop in price. Eventually, I’ll be able to buy the s5.. Yay!

6. Justice says:

I just hope the phone offers as much as the price tag, can’t wait for the full review actually

7. Anonymous says:

This means s8 will be cheaper

8. Adegbenro says:

I used to be a Galaxy S and then Note fanatic. Not anymore. They’re very good phones(with in-built obsolescence due to their glass bodies) but are they worth that amount? (Obviously I laugh at iPhones). It looks like an extra 150K for mainly the S9 screen and the camera compared to mid range phones.(I’m not really a camera person). The good thing is that many improvements in flagship phones will eventually show up in mid range phones. Prices here don’t drop like abroad eg HTC 10 64 GB LTE still goes for about 236K -about 18 months after its launch. Samsung phones in Nigeria drop very slowly in price. I eventually learnt that I wasn’t doing anything important with my S and Note phones than most people. Call, SMS, browse the internet, watch films, listen to music, mobile banking and read PDFs. This is just my opinion of course 😊

9. pwilliams says:

the phone is dope

… WELL, WHAT CAN WE SAY? THE K8NG OF DROID IS HERE. SAMSUNG IS TAKING THE CROWN, FROM PHYSICAL TO SPIRITUAL(SOFTWARE) THERE ONE OR TWO IMPROVEMENTS ALMOST EVERYWHERE. THE PRICE ISN’T BAD THOUGH. I’M WAITING FOR FULL REVIEW…

11. Amir says:

Since I my S6 edge+ screen shattered and I was told to bring 85k for repair, I’ve vowed not to buy a samsung again. So on this S9, i’ll jump and pass

1. Lol. Cost of repairs also pushed me away from the brand too. I stopped at S3, screen got cracked and a replacement would cost an arm and leg..that’s how I jejely switched to Infinix oo.
      I still love Samsung brand but economy no pure.

12. Norman says:

just saw the benchmarks and the s9(Exynos) scored around 260,000 points on Antutu.

13. Yomi Alabi says:

LET ME BE LIKE OBADARA AND SAY:
    THIS IS THE PHONE FOR ME!!

14. Laide says:

I don’t know about you but changing the fingerprint scanner, then that slow mo video and the camera are the reasons I am getting this after it launches in Nigeria.

15. The S9 I’d just perfect. I love the over all design and specs .

16. _edu_andy_ says:

This phone is just perfect in every way… Except the price tho which was expected