You aren’t a true Nigerian until you’ve experienced deduction of recharged credits or unsolicited messages like this one:

Or this one:

I could go on, but it’s no news that Nigerian Telcos have been known for fleecing customers with illegal deductions and unsolicited messages and this is even after customers have activated the DND code. To put these deductions into perspective, MTN Nigeria currently has a subscriber base of 51 million; Globacom, 37.4 million; Airtel, 35.9 million and 9Mobile at 17 million. With N50 daily deductions, MTN would have smiled to the bank with N2 trillion in a month, the same applies to other Telcos.

That’s a lot!

Now, this man — Uche Achibe— has had enough, and is willing to stand up against these Telcos. He intends to file a class action lawsuit against them, with your help, of course.
Here is what was posted on Facebook:

If you have ever gotten this from MTN Nigeria may be we can do something and stop this from happening. Here’s the thing – they create a product/service, add you to the product and then send you a mail to say your subscription is expiring – giving you the option to cancel the renewal (as if you subscribed in the first place). I
If you don’t take action, they’d bill you and deduct the money from your credit for something you don’t need and may never use – and they are usually stupid services.
They are asking me for my number on Twitter to sort me out, but, it shouldn’t be about me. They shouldn’t collect money from people like this – it’s criminal. If you have suffered this before, it’s time to act. Enter your detail here https://docs.google.com/…/1FAIpQLSd0Mv3wJlOxOMaRH…/viewform… at the right time, we’d file a class action against them. They have an option to either adjust their systems and issue a public statement to that effect or wait for the class action. It’s time to test out consumer protection laws in this country.

Like he said, you can also take a stance by filling the Google form using this link.
What do you think? Would this be effective?

10 comments on “This Nigerian Wants to File a Class Action Lawsuit Against MTN (& Others) With Your Help.

… WELL, I’M IN FULL SUPPORT OF THIS. I’M SUPPORTING THIS MAN, I’M SIGNING UP.
    THESE TELCOS GAVE TO BE SANCTIONED…

2. Ebube says:

Airtel did this shit to me this week and refuse to return my money back after complaining to them on twitter, they are worst than mtn, criminals

3. Barry says:

I’m in big time support of it. Airtel network is worse when it comes to something like this. I can’t browse well anymore to avoid touching ads that’ll automatically subscribe me on some SMS subscription. I call their cust. care lines nearly everyday to complain but they keep apologising. It’s time I call NCC!

4. I totally support this..the rate at wish they deduct ones airtime is alarming…it’s like cyber stealing.

5. Broadben says:

How do you know what the data you enter into this form is used for?

1. Tasty says:

We really don’t know. But heck, I got on board. Worse case I will get more slams sms or we could band together and hold these criminals accountable.
      If this is successful, Next steps should be banks and ATM withdrawal. I withdraw for the first time in a week at a GTB machine and see a N65 extra debit from 1 withdrawal transaction. Why?

6. _edu_andy_ says:

I don’t use MTN but airtel is no different

7. Alli Abiola says:

If this is successful, will others take a leaf from it? Nigeria and its system. We are getting there.

This is not a solution to the problem though. And it’s not only about MTN.
    I noticed something too, I have 2 MTN Sims, only one of them get these unsolicited messages. My main line is free from those SMS and calls, but the other one keep getting them on a daily.
    Something is wrong somewhere…