Reviews

iPhone X in Nigeria: First Impression Features I Love Already!

For those who are not in the know, the iPhone X was officially launched in Lagos some weeks back and asides from having a hands-on. I also got the iPhone X with me in the building, so expect a video review before the end of the week.

In the meantime, check out some of the features I have noticed (and loved) based on my first impressions

1.  Augmented reality

This feature doesn’t get the desired attention majorly because there are still very few applications that can take advantage of it in a meaningful way, but the iPhone X is integrated with all the hardware and software needed to create a realistic AR experience. I was able to try out a couple of applications like the Ikea Place which isn’t limited to the iPhone X, but allows you to virtually “place” sofas, lamps, rugs, and tables around your home, so you can see what they look like before you buy, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which lets you place a virtual caterpillar within real-life scenes.
Yes, most of the available applications are gimmicky, but one thing is for sure though, when that app does come along, Apple’s iPhone X will be ready.

2. The Gestures

Since the iPhone X doesn’t come with a home button, Apple has included a whole load of new swipes, gestures, and motions for getting around the iOS. Although this isn’t something that could be called a feature, I still love the feeling of getting to learn something completely different.

TrueDepth camera

Another futuristic feature of the iPhone X is its TrueDepth camera system, with the TrueDepth camera, the iPhone X can accurately map the geometry of your face. This means that it can detect the position, topology, and expression of your face with high accuracy and in real time, and then use that data within apps.

Of course, you already know about the highly talked about Animojis, but the potential future applications of this technology are far more wide-ranging. Users could eventually be able to create realistic avatars of themselves for use in games, augmented reality apps – and even in virtual reality. It could also be used for 3D scanning and printing objects, and advanced identity verification.

4. Power

I am sure the Android Fanboys are probably going to get in this mood:

Because this feature isn’t new, but the iPhone X’s glass back means that it can be charged wirelessly. Like I said, nothing new, but it’s a feature that is convenient and I also got the Belkin wireless charger that works well with the iPhone X.
The downside is that most charging pads require you to put the phone in exactly the right position in order to charge; more than once I have woken up in the morning to discover the iPhone had not charged because I placed it slightly off-center.
As for battery life, the iPhone X might get you through the day on a single charge.

Like I mentioned earlier, I’d have a videoreview coming up soon, but in the meantime, are these first impression features exciting enough for you?

46 comments on “iPhone X in Nigeria: First Impression Features I Love Already!

1. Creep says:

Santa, me need like 2 but, 1 won’t be bad sha.
    🖖🤘✌

2. Laide says:

MISSTECHY! YOU GOT ONE! CAN I BORROW IT FOR A DAY?!

3. Lola says:

I missed MissTechy, hope everything is aii from your end. As for the iPhone X, all these things are not new, the Pixel 2 from Google already boast of AR capabilities so, I am not going to jump ship., Team Android for life

1. Lola says:

By the way, when would a developer create an Animoji for Android?!

… WELL, FOR YOUR INFORMATION, DEVELOPERS HAVE DONE THAT AND THEY’RE STILL DOING THAT…

2. Jay says:

That feature shouldn’t bother you so much it’s already on Android.
        Go and check supermoji on playstore.

… WELL, YOU HAVE A PARTNER IN ME. TEAM ANDROID FOR EVER…

4. Ugo says:

This iPhone X hype has finally gotten through to me. But I would wait until 2018 before I buy mine, at least the price would have reduced a bit to say N300,000

1. Ugo says:

Why is my avatar not showing up here

5. Hussaini says:

Nice features from iPhone x, the features i love most about the said device is the augmented reality and not only that even the battery capacity too. Love to see more useful post on this Blog

6. Edu says:

amazing features especially the augmented reality but am a big android fan boy so😝

… WELL, FOR ME, THERE’S NOTHING NEW ABOUT THE iPHONE X. TO iOS USERS THOUGH, IT MAY BE EXCITING. AND FOR THOSE WHO USE TO SAY SAMSUNG COPIES crAPPLE, I WANT TO ASK, WHO’S COPYING WHO NOW?
    WAITING FOR THE VIDEO 📹 REVIEW THOUGH…

1. Kaybang says:

“…THERE’S NOTHING NEW ABOUT THE iPHONE X… EXCEPT TO iOS USERS THOUGH. AND FOR THOSE WHO USE TO SAY SAMSUNG COPIES crAPPLE, I WANT TO ASK, WHO’S COPYING WHO NOW?”- Android fanatic.

… WELL, I RESPECT YOUR OPINION AND RESPECT YOUR PERSON AS A CONSISTENT CONTRIBUTOR ON THIS BLOG.
        NONETHELESS, I HAVE TO SAY THAT FOR YOU TO QUOTE MY COMMENT AND TAG IT CHILDISH IS MORE THAN BEING CHILDISH. THAT’S RESORTING TO NAME CALLING.
        IF YOU THINK MY COMMENT IS WRONG, COUNTER IT WITH FACT AND FIGURES…

1. Kaybang says:

OH, COME. ON!! You know I LOVE fucking with y’all. 😂😂😂
          BIG.. DADDY BIG DADDY! ómó ire bi custard, you are not a bastard

.. WELL, THAT’S WHY I STARTED WITH THIS “I RESPECT YOUR OPINION AND RESPECT YOUR PERSON AS A CONSISTENT CONTRIBUTOR ON THIS BLOG” A
            I KNOW YOU SOMETIMES WRITE COMMENTS TO LAUGHTER.
            YOU’RE THE Ọ̀GÁ, I SALUTE UNA…

8. Nice one Misstechy, I’ll still take a Samsung over this.

9. Fhëm says:

Always Fun, simple nd direct.. That’s why MissTechy is my number 1 for reviews. Waiting for the video review!

… WELL, YOU HAVE A PARTNER IN ME. TEAM ANDROID FOR EVER…

1. Hussaini says:

Please stop spamming the comment box, all Your points can be accumulated as one

… WELL, I PERMIT YOU TO COLLAPSE ALL MY COMMENTS IN THIS POST INTO ONE LONG ESSAY…

11. runzlord says:

Android fanboys be like: the iPhone has nothing new always having what android has 5 years ago
    me: what about animoji?
    android fanboys: it is pointless and very useless
    *1 year later*
    android fanboys: if the latest Tecno does not have animoji then ill just buy the Samsung

12. Xtopher says:

Did I just hear you say Gestures?..
    Funny when BB brought gestures in BB10 people like you termed it *Gimmicky* but then Apple does it and it’s becomes a feature worth mentioning..

… WELL, THAT’S iOS USERS FOR YOU O.
      THERE WERE TIMES THEY SAID SPEC IS JUST NUMBERS, NOW, THEY’RE EXCITED ABOUT THE NUMBERS.
      THEY SAID SAMSUNG’S STYLUS IS A GIMMICK, NOW THEY DANCE OVER APPLE PENCIL…

13. Pwilliams says:

No mind them….this was exactly the same gestures that blackberry introduced

14. hassan says:

I phone are playing now playing the part of their game perfectly,coming up with this feature is nothing new to them but rather new to other phone company i really love this said feature,kudos to the great team,and believe you me many people are going to go for this device,thanks misstechy for sharing the awersome feature on this great tech blog.

15. Mary-Jane M says:

You’re finally reviewing an iPhone…Yayyyyy…This is one review I’ve been waiting for.

16. Popoola oladimeji says:

“As for battery life, the iPhone X might get you through the day on a single charge”…
    Guessed you aren’t saying something right…why the use of “might”?….
    Let me ask that your twin…

17. Emerson says:

Failed to mention the new gesture controls would take some getting used to. IOS is just becoming overtly complicated and for no good reason. I saw a price tag of 600k…just imagine what I can do with more than 3x my school fees and house rent.

18. George Jinn says:

the iPhone X is a yuuuuuge rip off. Although i cant afford one, straight off its worth noting how gimmicky that “depth sensing” camera is. The iPhone is not a secure phone because some how Apple couldnt complete the solve on how to include a biometric finger print scanner on this high-end, futuristic phone; we all agree on which is more secure of the 2 yeah? I dont hate apple/iOS but i envy how they constantly market already developed tech like its new; their new A11 chip is made by Qualcomm for example. You wont hear much about the Microsoft’s Surface Pen which is still in a class of its own but when Apple makes a Pen close to that you hear iOS fans go crazy-it gets annoying.

19. Kelvin says:

Typical Apple devices.

iPhone X is just there. Nothing special, nothing new, nothing we’ve not seen in recent iPhone. Unless the price counts as changes.

1. Anonymous says:

I agree. Imo iPhones are overrated. Different strokes for different folks.

21. Adegbenro says:

Agreed.

22. Desmond says:

Hi miss techy. I’m thinking of getting an affordable but quality Bluetooth speaker, which would u recommend.

23. John_Yhy says:

MissTechy, you haven’t been updating lately… hope all is well.

1. Kaybang says:

Make she dey update una during Xmas/new year period. Heartless 💘💔 people. Una no travel go village?

24. Chukwuma okereke says:

Misstechy where art thou… We miss you

25. Ehis says:

Wetin dey sup… Miss techy, what’s happening… Hope you good? Been a while

26. Daredevil says:

Wetin dey happen here, quite unusual…..i don miss u o
    From anonymous visitor

27. Kelvin says:

Where are you tobi

28. Taste says:

Obadara stop writing in uppercase this 2018. Or buy better phone if that’s what you need.
    Thanks

29. Theo says:

How much did you get the iPhone X pls, I’ll like to get one

30. Michael En Peters says:

Hmn hmn, pfff. Cool device but why would anyone buy this? I don’t know, maybe for showoff? Spending that huge amount of money on a phone can be really crazy.. No offense.

31. Austin says:

Wait!! How come i don’t hear “…and i’ll be giving out iPhone X to 1 lucky winner” ??🤔

The phone is tush in reality. Good phone. Someone’s 6months salary.