Nigeria Had the Highest Number of Dual-SIM Phones in Africa for Q2 2017.

I think one of the popular questions non-techies, especially the baby boomers ask when buying a new Smartphone is:

By the end of June 2017, there were nearly 140 million “active lines” in Nigeria’s mobile market and I’m certain that at least two-thirds of those active lines were shared by a single user

Now, based on a report, Nigeria had the highest number of dual-SIM phones in Africa. To put things into perspective, Nigeria commanded a 49% market share in Q2 2017.

Source: DeviceAtlas

The result in itself is not surprising —back then, a lot of Nigerians (including myself) stored different SIM cards in a bid to insulate themselves from network downtime. Then we had the cost-conscious subscribers who always tried to take advantage of different promotions offered by telcos — I remember switching to GLO to take advantage of a discount on voice calls and promptly switching to MTN  to use up a deal on free SMS. Today, even though network connectivity has slightly improved, the cultural conversion of dual SIM phones still remains; which is why dual-SIM phones from phone manufacturers like Infinix, Tecno and other are popular.

I think the only Phone manufacturer that has remained immune to this trend is Apple, but I doubt if any other phone manufacturer hoping to thrive in Nigeria can introduce a mid-range phone that doesn’t have dual-SIM support.

H/T MobilityArena

16 comments on “Nigeria Had the Highest Number of Dual-SIM Phones in Africa for Q2 2017.

1. TimiGate says:

Three reasons for this: 1. Nigeria is a dumping site for sub-standard phones. 2 Chinese companies are manufacturers of sub-standard phones. 3 Nigeria has a very large population. So, I’m not surprised.

1. Laide says:

These reasons are all a lie though. Major reason is because Nigerians want to cut cost. No one wants to buy two phones just because they have two sim cards. So this is more like a convenient approach. And if you say these are the reasons what happened to dual sim phones from the likes of Samsung and Nokia

1. Kay says:

[…] the likes of Samsung and Nokia

Ditto!

… WELL, FOR YOUR INFORMATION ℹ, HARDLY IS THERE A TOP LINE MANUFACTURER THAT DOES NOT MANUFACTURE/ASSEMBLE IN CHINA…

… WELL, I GUESS NIGERIA WILL CONTINUE TO LEAD THAT TREND FOR SOME MORE QUATERS. TECNO, INFINIX, iTEL INJOO AND OTHERS WILL STILL CONTINUE TO FOLLOW THIS TREND.
    THERE ARE EVEN UNDER G WORKS FROM APPLE TO GO THE DUALSIM WAY…

1. Emerson says:

Well an Inn’ is basically a 1 star(or less) lodge(not hotel, mind you). For the JOO’ I think they were trying to spell MOO(the sound a cow makes) and they’re probably thinking- if Apple has Sheep, why can’t we have Cows?

3. ★彡 BATMAN 彡★ says:

i̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶l̶o̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶d̶v̶a̶n̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶v̶o̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶m̶p̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶t̶n̶ ̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶s̶m̶s̶.
    I remember switching to MTN to take advantage of their Xtra Cool/Connect sturvs that allowed you to call that babe for HOURS at midnight and pretend like you had a sh!t ton of credit. 😏😏
    I know all you son’s of b!tches did it, so don’t you righteous kill me.

1. Henry says:

I so f**king did it too.

4. Guest says:

Lol 😂 , the image is so funny.
    LOL

5. Pius says:

Lol…. Indeed we are

6. Emerson says:

I once saw a phone with support for upto 5 Sims. Nigeria has enough population to be no1 at anything apart from what really matters.

7. Judith Tech says:

I’m not surprised.
    Visit my Bl0g

8. Codecjay says:

That’s because we like doing everything in excess.
    Meanwhile, I love my country.
    Check out this list of 2017 cheapest android phones in Nigeria. It might be useful to somebody

9. Pwilliams says:

well…..I think its basically because of the poor network coverage offered by our Telcos, Taking my self as an example cus am always on the move, there are some places you will get to and you will find out that a particular network is either very poor or is not available at all and in other to remain connected I do carry spare sim from other networks.