I could have said “there is now a semi-living computer that uses AI to “smell” explosives” but I just had to include “Nigerian” in the title:

Oshiorenoya Agabi is not new in the tech space. He stepped into the limelight after he created a computer made of human “brains.”Now, he is onto something different — a computer chip that can detect the smell of explosives. He unveiled the modem-sized technology at the TEDGlobal conference in Tanzania.

The name?
Koniku Kore — a chip that was made from a mixture of living neurons and silicon, with sensors that can detect and recognize smells. No, they’re not designed to smell your fart
But they are designed to detect explosive residue to help uncover hidden bombs. Agabi said it could be used to replace traditional airport security and could provide the brain for future robots. The device could also be used to detect illness by sensing markers of a disease in the air molecules that a patient gives off.
Unfortunately, pictures of the device can’t yet be publicly revealed. But I do hope that this sees the light of the day, majorly for selfish reasons.

12 comments on “A Nigerian Scientist Built a Semi-living Computer that Uses AI to “Smell” Explosives.

1. Chukwuma Chuksteric says:

we are getting there

1. SpecNG says:

Yes this is the type of news we want to be hearing in Nigeria. Congrats to him.
      Commenting from SpecNG Blog

2. I am happy this is coming from a Nigerian. The world can’t wait for the technology.

Is this for real? Designed out of living neurons and silicon?
    I hope its true, because that’s the kind of positivity we need right now.

… WELL, CONGRATULATIONS TO THE INVENTOR! I AM PROUD TO BE READING THIS AS A NIGERIAN. I WILL HOWEVER CRAVE FOR A DEMO VIDEO 📹 THAT WE CAN SHOW PEOPLE WHO HAVE LOST ALL THEIR BELEIVE IN ANYTHING NIGERIAN AND AFRICAN…

5. John_Yhy says:

Miss techy please… Any Android phone for me?! And i mean anyone. Even V4.2 please. Read from one of your posts that giveaway is soon. Pleaaaase.

1. פN∀q⅄∀ʞ ɨֆ ᏰᏗᏖᎷᏗᏁ says:

Bend the knee.

6. @Abubakar Shekau and the BokoHaram gang…
    We’re coming for you. Baba, please get up, (holding baba by the waist).
    Old soldier never dies.

7. Kelvin says:

I’m impressed TBH. We’re going to the future with technology..

8. פN∀q⅄∀ʞ ɨֆ ᏰᏗᏖᎷᏗᏁ says:

“Oshiorenoya Agabi… created a computer made of human “brains.”

“Now, he is onto something different — a computer chip… that was made from a mixture of living neurons and silicon, with sensors that can detect and recognize smells of explosives”

“But they are designed to detect explosive residue to help uncover hidden bombs…and could provide the brain for future robots… and could also be used to detect illness by sensing markers of a disease in the air molecules that a patient gives off.”
    Oh.. okay.

9. Emerson says:

That’s great news, but I can’t tell is the guy a ‘neurocomputerologist’ or what? How do u build a compuyer with human brains and then come back and ‘build’ a chip with the ability to smell shit with just silicon and neurons, you’re telling me there’s no Pixie dust or Sth involved. Oh Well, Google awaits

10. Kenny says: