What are the basic password security requirements?
- Does the site require at least 8 characters in a password?
- Does the site allow repeated numbers/letters without an alphanumeric mix?
- Does the site provide a “password strength indicator”?
- Does the site allow brute-force attacks – continual entry of incorrect credentials without a lockout/Captcha code requirement?
- Does the site support 2-factor or multi-factor authentication?
At the end of the survey, it was discovered that sites like
- QuickBooks and
Had a high score, whereas sites like
All scored poorly.
When you think about how easy it is to hack an Instagram account, then you are likely to believe the report.
Now what is most troubling is the fact that the researchers created passwords using nothing but the lowercase letter “a” on Amazon, Google, Instagram, LinkedIn, Venmo, and Dropbox, among others.
You can check out the infographic below: