Ex-Google SVP Feels Android Phones Are ‘Years’ Behind iPhone Photography.

The look on my face when I read the report yesterday was similar to this look:

It’s no news that a lot of people think that the iPhone takes better pictures than the Android OEMs, however, to have this affirmed by an ex-Google senior vice president of social, Vic Gundotra, is nothing short of surprising. According to him, Android devices are “years” behind the iPhone as far as photography is concerned.

In a Facebook post, Gundotra praised the quality of the iPhone 7 Plus camera, saying that he left his professional camera at home and took “stunning” photos with his smartphone. One of his followers commented that the Galaxy S8 has a better camera but Gundotra disagreed, going so far as to say that “I would never use an Android phone for photos!.”

According to Gundotra, the reason why Android smartphones lag behind iPhones in photography is the Android operating system. Gundotra says that the greatest innovation in photography is not happening at the hardware level, but at the computational photography level. Apple doesn’t have the same constraints that Android OEMs have, he says, so the company can not only innovate with the actual camera hardware but also fine tune the software to provide the best possible imaging performance. On the other hand, Android OEMs can only innovate on the hardware level and then convince Google to allow that innovation to be surfaced to other apps using the appropriate APIs. “That can take YEARS,” says Gundotra.
Sounds reasonable, right?
But having used Google’s own devices including the Pixel as well as Samsung’s  and Apple’s, I can categorically say that Android is right on par (and sometimes, better than the latest iPhones in a few key areas) when it comes to photography.
What do you think, do you agree with Vic?

19 comments on “Ex-Google SVP Feels Android Phones Are ‘Years’ Behind iPhone Photography.

1. Stiiz says:

I honestly agree with Vic. Photos taken on the Samsung S7 for instance, are heavily tweaked by the software to beautify and “over-enhance” the image quality compared to the iPhone 6s that produces clean and true to life images. Let’s face it, for someone who worked at Google in top management to make this statement, it’s definitely legit.
    P.S. I’m an iPhone convert. 🙃

1. Henry says:

That he once worked at Google doesn’t make it any legit than Steve Balmer saying that it was a better business strategy for Nokia to ditch Symbian for Windows instead of Android.

2. Adeshola says:

Here’s what I think… Android is open source yeah. Once Google puts it out, some OEM’s do next to nothing to “improve” the OS. Besides the camera hardwares, certain software tweaks help cameras stand out. Some OEMs use bad camera hardwares and they don’t improve the camera softwares in anyway. The result? Android phones with 8MP cameras that take pictures that are not better than a feature Nokia phone. The bad eggs are why people condemn Android cameras generally.

3. OBÁDÁRÀ says:

… WELL, WHEN I READ THAT IN THE FIRST INSTANCE, I WAS CONVINCED WITHIN ME THAT THE GUY WAS WRONG. THAT YOU WORKED AS A SENIOR MANAGEMENT STAFF IN A COMPANY DOESN’T MEAN YOUR STATEMENT ABOUT IT WILL ALWAYS BE RIGHT! TAKE FOR INSTANCE, THE ‘Ọ̀GÁ AT THE TOP’ CASE. HE WAS ADDRESSING THE ISSUE ON A FAULTY PREMISE. APPLE ONLY OUT PREMIUM FLAGSHIP PHONES AND YOU CAN ONLY COMPARE THEIR PHONES WITH PREMIUM FLAGSHIP PHONES FROM OEMS THAT USE ANDROID TOO. 1) HE SAID “ANDROID” AND THAT INCLUDES ANY PHONE RUNNING ANDROID INCLUDING THOSE CHEAP CLONED ANDROID PHONES. DON’T FORGET THAT THERE’S ‘DX OMAX’ WHICH IS THE NUMBER ONE AUTHORITY IN EATING CAMERAS ON MOBILE 📱 AFTER SO MANY RIGOROUS, PROFESSIONAL AND AUTHORITATIVE TESTS, AND I CANT REMEMBER WHEN AN iPHONE HAS BEEN RATED OVER A SAMSUNG’S FLAGSHIP THERE. 2) HE SAID HE WILL NEVER USE AN ANDROID PHONE FOR (CAMERA 🎥), WE SHOULD ASK HIM HOW MANY AS HE USED, HOW DID HE USE THEM AND WHY(IF HE EVER DID) HE STOPPED USING THEM?
    3) WE SHOULD ASK WHY AND HOW HE LEFT GOOGLE AND WHAT COMPANY PAYS HIM NOW…

1. Kᴀʏʙᴀɴɢ ᴵˢ Ⓑₐₜₘₐₙ says:

I scrolled down to the end of the comment for the summary. Then scrolled up to re-read the first sentence. Then, I scrolled down again to read the last bits of the comment, them scrolled up again to read the bits following the first sentence. Then, obviously I scrolled down again to read the bits following the bits before the summary. And yes, I scrolled up again… etc
      This process continued until I could fully read the comment. It’s that long.
      Please don’t hate me for this. 😊

… WELL, NOT HATINGS MY BROTHER. I JUST HAVE TO MAKE THAT COMMENT AND EVEN MAKE IT THAT SHORT SO THAT IT DOESN’T BECOME BORING 💤 FOR THOSE THAT WILL READ IT…

4. Ezeali Jonas says:

Some OEMs use bad camera hardwares and they don’t improve the camera softwares in anyway. The result? Android phones with 8MP cameras that take pictures that are not better than a feature Nokia phone. The bad eggs are why people condemn Android cameras paticulary

… WELL, YOU’RE ON POINT SIR AND THAT’S ONE OF THE ISSUES I RAISED IN MY COMMENT. IF YOU SEE SOME CAMERA PERFORMANCE ON ANDROID, YOU WILL JUST BE LIKE, WAS THIS MANUFACTURED BY THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT?…

5. Emerson says:

6. Emerson says:

The S7 is arguably on par with the latest iphones not to talk of the S8 or the U11 which according to DxO has the best camera in a smartphone. I think the guy should be comparing premium Android versus the IPhone flock and not motioning to the cheap and half-baked other that run Android. Iphones always get the hype this truth we know.

7. Emerson says:

… WELL, THE HYPE INFURIATES ME. THAT WAS HOW ONE GIRL WAS ASKING THROUGH HER WHATSAPP STATUS ‘WHICH ONE TAKES THE BEST PICTURES, iPHONE OR SAMSUNG?’ AND I REPLIED “SAMSUNG”. SHE SAID, “NO, ITS iPHONE” AND I ASKED, “HAVR YOU USED THE TWO?”, I WAS SURPRISED THAT SHE HASN’T EVEN USED ANY SAMSUNG OR APPLE PHONE 📱…

1. Emerson says:

Yep, and I’ve noticed it’s rampant with the ‘females’. I don’t blame them tho

8. Emerson says:

Why can’t I comment

9. Emerson says:

Lol, I just had to refresh the page. I’m not sorry for the multiple comments tho

1. Kᴀʏʙᴀɴɢ ᴵˢ Ⓑₐₜₘₐₙ says:

10. Kelvin says:

iPhone has a better camera, no doubt. Doesn’t stop the fact that Androids can take amazing pictures tho. Years is behind is too much.

11. Eddie says:

He couldn’t be more wrong. If anything the iPhone is now behind Android. And for anyone that doesn’t know, in the past 3 years the iPhone hasn’t been the top rated smartphone when it comes to photography – with phones like the Pixel and Pixel XL, HTC U11, Galaxy S7 & S8 series, LG G6 just to name a few.
    Maybe he just has an issue with Android and/or Google.

1. Eddie says:

Saying Android as an OS is what causes it to lag behind is just not correct. What made the Google Pixel the best smartphone camera last year for instance wasn’t spectacular hardware, but rather fantastic post-processing. If Android was the problem, that wouldn’t have been the case.