I currently have about 15 tabs opened in my Chrome browser  (P.S. I have never experimented with the maximum number of tabs that can be opened, but the more tabs you open in your browser, the more memory it will ultimately consume), and I can already notice a bit of lag.

Now Firefox is claiming that you can open as many as 1500 tabs in 15 seconds with no lag in sight.

I haven’t tried it out, yet, but according to the test, older builds of Firefox, such as Firefox 51 took almost 8 minutes to start with a whopping 1,691 tabs opened. However, in Firefox 55 and 56, it took a mere 15 seconds to open. Not only that,  it was discovered that with 1,691 tabs open, Firefox 55 and 56 used under 500MB of RAM.
So, any tab hoarders willing to try this out with screenshots?

16 comments on “What is the Maximum Number of Tabs You Can Open in Your Browser? Firefox Can Open 1,500 Tabs in 15-seconds.

1. Alli Abiola says:

Its good testing for lag on these browsers. 1500 tabs in 15 seconds without lag:
    Twale!!! #itsallisay

2. Alli Abiola says:

Twale!!! #itsallisay

3. I think this depends on total available memory on your PC. The lower the memory the higher the lag and vice versa.

… WELL, AM SURE THIS IS FOR P. C BECAUSE IF YOU TRY THIS ON PHONE 📱, NO MATTER THE BENCHMARK SCORES OF SUCH PHONE, IT WILL BECOME THE GREAT GRANDFATHER OF SNAILS 🐌 IMMEDIATELY. I CAN’T EVEN TEST THIS, AM JUST IMAGINING THE STRESS IT WILL TAKE ME TO OPEN 🔓 THAT NUMBER OF TABS AND TO KEEP THE COUNT ACCURATE. I GUESS, FIREFOX IS LOOKING FOR A WAY OF DETHRONING CHROME AS THE NUMBER ONE BROWSER BECAUSE ONCE TECH NERDS CAN TEST THIS TO BE TRUE, THEN CHROME SHOULD BE READY TO DEFEND ITSELF…

5. Kay says:

Here’s why this can be possible on Firefox … Here’s why it’s impossible on Chrome (except you’ve using core i9 plus 128GB+ RAM)

1. Kᴀʏʙᴀɴɢ ᴵˢ Ⓑₐₜₘₐₙ says:

After attempting to read what’s in those links;

1. Kᴀʏʙᴀɴɢ ᴵˢ Ⓑₐₜₘₐₙ says:

˙˥O˥
          😀

6. Rapsowdee says:

Never use Firefox with a system of 16bit processor and 1GB RAM…
    My Firefox opens in 4 minutes with that spec…

7. Xtopher says:

Misstechy I’m willing to try that in my 16GB Workstation..
    H do I go about the Process, Open all tabs, close Firefox and then Launch again right?

8. Molokwu Victor says:

Who needs 1500 tabs? 😕
    It will never be me 😚

9. Steph laws says:

d truth is that I used to have Firefox browser on my phone but I’m addicted to chrome. the day I finally succumb to try Firefox, waoh it was hell. Maybe it’s d complexity or what, every page I opened was just blank. I quickly ran back to chrome

Misstechy I’ve not recieved my giveaway prize from you and I’ve not heard from you since then. Please reply.

11. Emerson says:

My laptop with 1gb of RAM and 16bit processor takes about 5mins to open Firefox. If u have a better spec’d lappy abeg try and tell us the result.