OnePlus 5: So, Phone Companies Cheat Benchmark Scores?

I didn’t want to talk about the OnePlus 5 launch because they don’t have a brand presence in Africa, but I had to talk about this one since it applies to every phone brand in Nigeria— yes, I am looking at you Tecno, Infinix, Gionee, InnJoo, iTel  to name a few.

It appears that OnePlus was caught cheating benchmark scores (again) with the OnePlus 5. XDA revealed that the company has been inappropriately manipulating benchmark scores.
How?
The claim is, OnePlus 5 is targeting specific benchmarks by name  (Antutu, GeekBench, AndroBench & others) so that when it detects that it is being run on these benchmarks, it will try to boost its performance in order to gain a higher score.
Specifically, as soon as the Snapdragon 835 variant detects a benchmark app, the minimum frequency of the little cluster rockets to the maximum frequency i.e. 1.9GHz. With this technique, OnePlus achieved some of the highest scores on GeekBench 4. Now, without the cheating mechanism, the report claims that only 24.4 percent of results gave the 1.9GHz maximum frequency in the small cores, whereas when the manipulation was enabled, the number jumped to a whopping 95 percent of results.

To defend itself, OnePlus had this to say:
“We are not overclocking the device, rather we are displaying the performance potential of the OnePlus 5.”

By the way, I have read reviews of the One Plus 5 and they seem to be positive (With the 6GB of RAM and all) so I wonder why OnePlus had to bother gaming the system.
Ove to you, do you take benchmarks into account when buying a new phone?

17 comments on “OnePlus 5: So, Phone Companies Cheat Benchmark Scores?

1. Chris says:

Haha. Interesting. I don’t really take benchmark scores so important before purchasing an Android device. I just look at the CPU, manufacturer, Android version, RAM, ROM, display size/technology and whether it supports external SD Card. For me, whether throttling or holding breaks in benchmark tests, the One Plus 5 is powerful, feature rich and a tech companion if your hands aren’t too tight…
    By the way, I love your blog and writing style. Keep them coming…

2. Pozaa says:

These are the bad eggs in the Android game.

MissTechy we need the ‘upload image’ feature in the comment section of your site. Not everyone is into the gif thingy. We have our meme pictures.

1. Kaybang® DANANANA BATMAN!™ says:

You can Google search the memes & post. At least that’s what I do. I have a GIF /meme folder with a STASH of ’em 😞 and every now and then I have to go back there, look for what I want, Google search the GIF/meme (again😒) then post it. It’s hardwork 😞 but what the hell right?
      At least you even have a folder. Your job’s been made easier. Imagine having to ‘fresh search’ a GIF/meme every damn time 😟

4. I don’t look at benchmarks at all, once we have a fingerprint scanner, 4g bands and decent camera …we good to go.
    I dey eye that one plus 5 seriously.
    Great value for money, not all these expensive fruits 🍆🍍🍎😂

1. Kaybang® DANANANA BATMAN!™ says:

But fruits are great for the body though. For e.g I know people give cucumbers stick/a hard time, but they’re great for oral hygiene (they eliminate bad breath 😞)

5. Jerry Skiby says:

The fact remains that is phone is freaking awesome with about 6 & 8 of Ram and 64 and 128 of Rom.. That’s what I call a monster

6. Stiiz says:

I guess it’s all just a publicity stunt. With 6GB of RAM, why bother to cheat the benchmark scores? Also, I don’t check Antutu or those other benchmark apps. I’ve actually never run a benchmark app on any of the phones I’ve used. Once I see 4GB or 6GB ram and an Octa-core processor, that’s fine by me.

7. Ezekiel says:

Many companies like Samsung, LG and HTC have times and over again tipped the scale for benchmark scores to favor them. It’s quite unfortunate that Oneplus were careless enough to let their hands get caught in the cookie jar.

8. Derek Okoro says:

who Benchmark help?
    Benchmark or know Benchmark,OnePlus never fails to deliver..😋

9. Kelvin says:

Biko, kini benchmark

10. Jade says:

Just sent my one plus 3 to Poland for service. Once it is back, imma sell it and order me the OP 5. The benchmark results only show potentials that can never be maxed in any device. So long as it holds supreme with the daily heavy tasks I dole out to it then we are good. Leggo😁

11. Anonymous says:

” rel=”nofollow”>

12. Olageek says:

I don’t really understand why bother to cheat the benchmark scores? This phone is just awesome with 64 RAM and 128 of Rom. We ran some apps and games including, Real Racing 3, Dream League 2017 also GTA-Vice city and the OnePlus 5 handled them with ease. Am just so confused!!!
    here is my personal review The Great Oneplus 5 Full Review

1. The new flagship OnePlus 5 has already been tested for scratch resistance and flexibility. Now it’s time to check how it copes with the drowning. OnePlus 5 Water Resistance Test. However, new reports now suggest that the OnePlus 5 has some amount of water resistance.

13. TechChairman says:

It’s hard to tell if you will really like a device unless you see, touch and feel it. I prefer getting a feel of the device before jumping into conclusion. Lets see what the new OnePlus 5 plus has to offer

14. No matter the cheating, they are still better than many of the top MTK devices we have floating around in Nigeria today.