If you opened your Twitter app today, you’ll probably be greeted by a message inviting you to check your settings — this message:
I am sure most of us must have clicked on the “Sounds good” option because:

But you should have clicked on the “review settings” option because Twitter is introducing key changes to its privacy policy which will enable it to use your personal data to personalize your experience on the platform when it comes to ads.
Now, unlike some platforms that won’t be mentioned, Twitter is also giving you the option to disable this feature. But before we get to that part, how about you try to see what Twitter and its advertisers think you like — you can do this by going to the settings on the desktop app (I haven’t been able to get this on the mobile app, yet) and select “Your twitter data.”

You will need to input your password again and that is it!  Twitter will show you information such as your age and gender, the devices and browsers you have used to log into your account, the places you have logged in from, and the apps Twitter has “collected” from your mobile devices. That is not all, it would also show you what it thinks you are interested in. In my case, Twitter has identified that I have 52 interests based on my “profile and activity.” As you can see, I have a lot of tech-related interests:

Like I initially stated, Twitter is handing over the reins to you.
So, instead of just pushing annoying ads in your face, they want you to be able to personalize the type of ads you see, which is cool. There is also the option to completely disable this feature—by clicking on the “Disable all” button on the “Personalisation and data” settings page.
However, since you’ll be seeing ads on Twitter either way, wouldn’t it be better to enable the personalization setting so the ads can be from companies you are interested in, or what do you think?
Just to be clear, Twitter is not the only tech company that offers an option like this, Facebook and Google also allow you to customize the categories it uses to target you with ads.

10 comments on “Here Is How You Can See All the Information Twitter Knows About You (They Know a Lot).

1. Anonymous says:

I knew all these long ago. facebook is king at that. these companies sell user data to advertisers without u knowing

2. Kaybang® DANANANA BATMAN!™ says:

“Now, unlike some platforms that won’t be mentioned,” …
    If there’s any Truecaller employee/representative reading this and doesn’t understand who they’re talking about..
    It’s YOU darling

NOW, back to the matter at ✋.
    “wouldn’t it be better to enable the personalization setting so the ads can be from companies you are interested in”? O’course it’ll but how will they​ know which companies you’re interested in? The suggested interests are repititive in the 1st place, and I’m sure they use algorithms to choose companies that might fit them. Reminds of Flipboard which would just keep pulling out all manner of news from it’s ass because of your selected “interests”(I hated that service. Useless news everywhere). Still, I think I trust Twitter more with guessing what I’ll like more correctly than fvckboard.
    Now, if only they’d get rid of that Victor Moses Opera mini ad. It’s become annoying AF.

1. Anonymous says:

go to settings –>start page content–>turn news off

1. Kaybang® DANANANA BATMAN!™ says:

You talking bout Flipboard? Thanks for the tip 👍👍, but the app is dead to me.

1. Kay says:

Flipboard was one of the first android feed aggregators I tried back then, and like you pointed out, It was crazy annoying!
          RN, the only thing I like about them is their logo and AFAIK, Feedly is the best feed aggregator for both Android, iOS, and the web.
          Been using Feedly since Q4 ’14 and I have not looked back since then.

1. Kaybang® DANANANA BATMAN!™ says:

If I can find a really great one of those things, I’ll be ecstatic. It’d save me a lotta stuff. 4 real.
            So, Feedly huh?
            Okay, okay, let’s check out.

… WELL, I THINK THE BEST PART OF THIS IS THAT WE CAN REVIEW IT. BUT, CAN TWITTER INTRODUCE PAID APP OR PAYING SUBSCRIBERS WHO WOULDN’T WANT ADDS AT ALL?…

4. Pwilliams says:

paying subscribers who doesnt wamt Ad at all?……no i dont think they would do taht

Use to see something like this (area of interests) on Twitter Analytics. But shii like the above data info about locations and co is scary for me.
    I am guilty of clicking “sounds good” without reviewing settings.

6. Rotimi Popoola says: