PSA: Snap CEO, Evan Spiegel, isn’t scared of Facebook’s copycat behavior!
He made his thoughts known in an interview via Recode. And his answer to the question “Does Facebook scare you? Why or why not?” Had me feeling this way:
Here is his response:
“If you want to be a creative company, you gotta get comfortable with, and basically enjoy the fact that people are going to copy your products if you make great stuff. We’ve seen this happen a lot in technology. When Google came along, everyone really felt like they needed a search strategy. When Facebook came along everyone felt they needed a social strategy. And now with Snap, with our company, we believe that everyone is going to develop a camera strategy because I think we really help people understand how valuable the camera is. It’s really the center of everything that we do. At the end of the day, just because Yahoo, for example, has a search box, it doesn’t mean they’re Google.”
OMG! The last line killed it! And guess what?! Yahoo is actually an investor in Snap!
On a more serious note, though, whether he likes it or not Spiegel needs to worry about Facebook because ever since Facebook started copying Snapchat’s features, Snap’s growth has slowed and this is evident in the first quarter earnings results — Snap’s stock plunged nearly 25% in after-hours trading.

Image Source: MarketWatch

But what do I know?

9 comments on “"Just Because Yahoo, For Example, Has A Search Box, It Doesn't Mean They're Google" — Snapchat's CEO.

That’s the kinda punchline people like Eminem drop when you ask them about their rivals.
    I’ve never heard of Spiegel before but I’ve got to admire him. I mean, his work with SnapChat clearly speaks for itself.

2. Chuksteric says:

Not really applicable in this case

3. Adeniji Micheal says:

Lol. that snapchat CEO is crazy for saying that, He is trying to mock Fb, He is ryt tho. Yhu can copy them buh yhu can’t beat them to it.

4. John says:

Tobi, I think the drop in Snap’s stock is not due to facebook’s copycat genetics. Can you remember the recent comment that was attributed to Snap Chat’s CEO about Indians/poor people?
    “He said Snap Chat is not for the poor” when asked about the Snap Chat in India.
    That caused a deep in their stocks because there was a global cry against that comment and many uninstalled the app. Some investors backed out too (so I heard)

1. Tobi Ayeni says:

Very true, but that can’t be the major/only reason. I say, the fact that there is a competitor like Facebook with a large user base — nearly 2B active users— also played a major role.

5. Barry 🐦 says:

Haha.. That’s a big blow to Yahoo and Facebook

… WELL, I LOVE THAT HITBACK! ITS A SHADING OF FACEBOOK AND ZUCKERBERG! NONETHELESS, FACEBOOK CSN ACTUALLY KILL SNAPCHAT IN A NUMBER OF YEARS IF THE TREND CONTINUES LIKE THIS…

7. Tee says:

That line was tight tho, gotta admit… Since zukerberg now is now using whatsapp, instagram, and facebook to compete, the snap team should see it as an opportunity to up their game and be more creative.

8. Nu be this same guy talk say snap chat na for only rich people…. I dey suspect say this guy dey take ijebu weed.