Have You Tried Out YouTube's New Look?

Yesterday, YouTube surprised us with a makeover on its desktop site. In case you are feeling this way:
Because you were expecting the mobile app to also get a redesign, I am sorry, but this is strictly for the desktop version, although YouTube is testing a new user interface for the YouTube app that opts for an all white color scheme instead of red.
Now, as far as the changes brought about by the redesign are concerned, I’d like to think they are quite subtle — here is the old YouTube page

And the new one.

The Channel page also got a facelift.

For me, the best part is the official dark theme mode — which makes it easier to watch YouTube at night on your bright devices.

Other changes include:

• The left-side navigational elements can now be made to disappear with a single click on the hamburger menu.
  • You can now keep scrolling down and continue receiving recommendations without any end.
  • Channel pages now feature larger, more vivid content.
  • Navigational elements within Channel are significantly larger and easier to navigate through.
  • While watching a video on a channel, theater mode is slightly larger and comes with a black background.
  • Subscribe button is more prominent and shows up right at the top when a channel corresponding to your search query pops up.

For now, you have to opt-in to try out these features. To do that, visit youtube.com/new and click on try it now.

If you don’t like it, you can return to the current design by selecting ‘Restore classic YouTube’ from the Account Menu.
By the way, YouTube said it will cap the number of people participating in the trial “when we reach enough users and feedback,” so you might want to hurry.
Meanwhile, I’m just sitting here waiting for the moment YouTube will introduce the loop feature on its mobile app.

12 comments on “Have You Tried Out YouTube's New Look?

… WELL, I’VE NOT SEEN IT BUT I’VE READ 📖 ABOUT IT. IMO, ITS FINE. JUST THAT I WILL WANT MORE ATTENTION ON THE MOBIL APP LIKE YOU TOO…

2. emmaedeh says:

The one feature I desire is still not yet available. The ability to scroll through comments while the video am watching remains in view. Just how it works in the app. Till then, I give Google thumbs down for this cosmetic changes.

1. Tobi Ayeni says:

True!! It’s surprising that such an important feature is not included!!

3. Stiiz says:

It’s SO CLEAN & SUPER MINIMALISTIC!!!!! Like, as if YouTube wasn’t minimalistic enough, they now went to add more minimalism. 😩 Thumbs up to YouTube on the fresh new look & the new dark mode.
    Also, I agree with Emma. The comments-scrolling thing should be added too sha. I’m sure they’ll soon find a way around it sha.

1. Stiiz says:

UPDATE:
      It appears I can no longer initiate a comment in the new YouTube comments section. There seems to be now text box to type comments into, although I can reply to previous comments.

Yet to experience the new YouTube layout design. The dark theme mode does it for me.

5. zed says:

who has techno canon c8 for swap with 16mp camera in abuja

6. Anonymous says:

I jumped on it since it popped up some months back for me on chrome. I like it though

7. Rotimi Popoola says:

Nice one YouTube

8. tomiwa says:

Been using the dark theme since yesterday:looks dope

9. just tried it now it looks cool but love to stream on my app than desktop .Learn About Blogging

10. Adeniji Micheal says:

Have not seen the new design .. Buh am gonna check it out soon..