Internet Subscribers: More Nigerians Are Switching to Airtel.

The latest report from NCC showed that the number of internet subscribers in Nigeria declined to 91,274,446 in January. What’s even more surprising, at least for me, is the fact that Airtel was the only Telco that recorded a significant increase in its January numbers, GLO also recorded an increase, but it pales in comparison to Airtel’s.

As seen from the graph, Airtel added 245,940 subscribers to its December record of 19,363,545. GLO recorded a 66,094 increase, while MTN and Etisalat recorded a drop of 737,964 and 188,656 respectively.

As to why the numbers favored Airtel, I guess people would always go for what is cheap— it’s no news that Airtel has one of the cheapest data plans in Nigeria, but so does GLO, I even think GLO is the cheapest.

Maybe the differentiating factor is the fact that Airtel has a wider coverage, maybe.

12 comments on “Internet Subscribers: More Nigerians Are Switching to Airtel.

Airtel has cheapest data rate, but their data drains like a witch sucking blood.
    Etisalat is not cheap, but they have one of the best network coverage & never disappoints at any time.
    MTN has been wack since Q4 2016, always having network problems till today. People now use it more for calls than data.
    Glo is also cheap, but I can’t describe their mode of operation because I hardly see its subscribers in my locality.

2. Darmie Payne says:

Other Telcos have stopped bbplan except Airtel.. http://www.trafficator.ng

3. Emeka says:

The reason Airtel subscribers increased is because their data speed is Very very good compared to the Rest. Glo is the cheapest but their data speed is very disappointing…But they are improving.

4. pWilliams says:

I am a proud Airtel fan or should I call it subscriber….I moved from Glo to Airtel and believe me I haven’t regretted taking that step

…WELL,I SUSPECT TWO THINGS HERE.ONE-THAT AIRTEL STILL HAVE ACTIVE BB PLANS AND TWO,ITS BECOMING CHEAPER ON AIRTEL TO BROWSE AND THE NETWORK IS BETTER THAN GLO(THE CHEAPEST).
    AM ACTUALLY HAPPY BECAUSE AIRTEL IS MY NETWOK OF CHOICE…

6. Bolliejay says:

MTN is the worst network in 9ja.

7. Victor Molokwu says:

Not surprised, I’ve used their services…The only thing that made me go back to MTN was MTN’s roaming package , apart from that Airtel is good, only Etisalat bests them

8. Emerson says:

Airtel is good no doubt, cheap and fast. Alas the problem with them is they take faster than they give pressed down and running over

…WELL,YOU’RE RIGHT,THE AIRTEL DATA ZAPPING TECHNOLOGY IS THE BEST YOU CAN SEE ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD…

9. Well I’m big fan of glo, just that they need to work on their network coverage seriously
    See details of the best Ponzi about to be launched

10. Rotimi Popoola says:

i just love airtel ehn that my love for them has grown so so big thta i sub 9gb within a matter of weeks cos of youtube and other stuffs honestly i get about 4mb per second from airtel and its reasonable and dey dont even have 4g like other telcos and them still get reasonable speed