Do You Think LG Played Safe with The LG G6?

Despite the fact that the dark forces of tech conspired against me yesterday, I was still able to follow the unveiling of the G6 and other stories on Twitter and judging from the reactions there, it seems a lot of people feel that LG played safe with the G6.

For those who still don’t know, here are the official specs:

• 5.7” display (~80% screen/body ratio) 2880×1440 QHD+, 564 PPI with Dolby Vision HDR,
  • Dual-cameras 13MP (back),
  • Wide camera (front) 5MP
  • 32GB -64GB* storage
  • 4GB RAM
  • Snapdragon 821 (MSM8996) processor
  • Quad-DAC*
  • 3300 mAh battery (+18% from G5).
  • Wireless charging (Only in the US).
  • IP68 water-resistance (It can be submerged underwater for up to half an hour).
  • 9×71.9×7.9mm
  • Android 7.
  • Price: Not yet revealed.

Now, back to the “Playing safe theory.”
For one thing, the G6 uses a four-year-old version of Gorilla glass on its display.

They also did away with the screen curves which they claim make the phone more fragile and prone to breaking when dropped. To further defend their choice, LG brought in an ergonomics professor from Penn State University to explain. According to him:

“Smartphone manufacturers tend to focus on specs, but I think they forgot some basic principles: usability. We checked the G6 from the eyes of an ergonomist, and we found that the G6 is different from other phones on the market.”

I am sure Samsung rolled their eyes at that statement.

On a good note, the G6 is the first Android device announced to include Google Assistant, it uses an actual heat pipe system to improve the cooling of the main processor, plus, a lot of popular tech sites have good things to say about the device.
I am still undecided about the looks, but I will love to hear what you think about the G6.

8 comments on “Do You Think LG Played Safe with The LG G6?

1. pWilliams says:

I watched the video review on YouTube….I think the played it pretty safe

The design of this phone didn’t move me one bit. They played safe for the screen protection but that not what it takes. Though most of its features are awesome but some was lacking.
    5.7” display✔
    Dual-cameras 13MP✔
    Wide camera 5MP ✖
    4GB RAM ✔
    3300 mAh ✖
    Wireless charging only in the US ✖
    IP68 water-resistance✔
    Android 7 ✔

1. Emm_Dee says:

What’s wrong with wide camera 5 MP???
      There are 4 cameras altogether on the G6 (2 in front and 2 at the back). The 2 front facing cameras both spot a 5 MP camera (wide angle and normal angle view).
      And have you heard of any brand other than LG with a wide angled camera?
      The wide angle allows for more objects to fit into a shot.
      Research well about the phone hen. I’m sure you like what you see

1. Anonymous says:

The LG G6 has only one selfie camera sir

3. Emm_Dee says:

I just love LG
    @misstechy not the first android phone to feature in-built Google Assistant tho. Google pixel and pixel xl both have that. It should be “the first non google smartphone”.

1. Tobi Ayeni says:

My bad, I meant the first phone launched this year.

…WELL,ITS NOT YOUR BAD,THE GOOGLE ASSISTANT I SUPPOSE HAS BEEN EXCLUSIVE TO THE GOOGLE PIXEL PHONES…

…WELL, CONCERNING THE CURVE,THEY MIGHT HAVE PLAYED SAFE,BUT NOT WITH THE GORILLA GLASS 3. REGARDLESS OF PLAYING SAFE OR NOT,SAMSUNG NUMBERS WILL CRUSH LG’S AT THE END…