61% Of People Check Their Phones Within 5 Minutes of Waking Up — Deloitte

What is the first thing you do when you wake up?
Do you immediately think Food?

Do you try to contemplate life?

Or are you just the lazy type?

Or do you turn to your phone to see if there are any messages, emails, and notifications from social media?

According to a recent study by Deloitte Global Mobile Consumer Survey of 2016,  61% of people actually check their phones 5 minutes after waking up. This number increases to 88% for those who take less than 30 minutes to check their phones, and 96% within an hour.Interestingly, 74% of the respondents check their mobile phones about 15 minutes before going to sleep.
In the words of Neeraj Jain, Partner at Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India, “This study reveals that smartphone usage has increased considerably. It has been identified as a disruptor in many common daily activities. This (the numbers) says a lot about the way mobile phone usage has intruded in consumers’ personal space and life.”
Do you agree with these findings? And what group do you fall under?

14 comments on “61% Of People Check Their Phones Within 5 Minutes of Waking Up — Deloitte

1. Kaybang says:

Even use my earphones when I’m sleeping just to try and stay plugged in ? to the internet. Matrix reloaded type ish.
    And It’s making me forget morning devotion. When last did I pray in the morning sef?

2. Tee says:

that’s me.. wake up, turn on my phone and go close my eyes back while it boots and I boot… by the time we both finish booting, I can start catching up with my feeds while brushing my teeth.

1. Kaybang says:

GOAT comment. So on point ?. Care to get drunk today? I’m buying

3. Steve says:

It aptly describes me. I check my phone immediately I gain consciousness, and I check it before I sleep.

4. Ige Ebima says:

5 Mins is way too far , i grab my phone the moment i open my eyes

5. Rotimi popoola says:

My own is instantly from sleep

6. Victor Molokwu says:

Lol! That’s the first thing I do , wake up,grab phone look at notifications etc

… WELL, ONCE I WAKE UP, I SAY THANK YOU JESUS, TAKE MY PHONE TO RESET ALARM AND REMOVE IT FROM ULTRA POWER SAVING MODE IF THERE WASN’T POWER SUPPLY OVERNIGHT, RESET MY ACCESSIBILITY TOGGLES AND PRAY…

8. pWilliams says:

emmmm…in most cases Sha …..not always….at times I use my my phone untill it’s dead, then I plug it over night

9. Oladimeji says:

My phone wakes me…Most times…So i pick it up to turn off the alarm…

10. Olutunde says:

I check my phone immediately i open my, not because of anything than to check the time, sometime na whatsapp message they wake me up

Am one of the 61percent.
    Like today, I woke up and first thing that came to mind was, where is my phone, am I lying on top of it, did I kick it off the bed, even tho it was dark, my search-engine hands found it and I spent like 5mins doing what I dont know with it, before other things.
    Maybe its cuz we sleep with it. We wake up to our partners innit?

12. Tobi says: