Why in tech’s name did Blackberry choose DTEK 50 as a Phone name?
IMG_20160628_151832

Sorry for jumping the gun, but Blackberry has unveiled its second Android device! Yeah, it is called the DTEK 50 ? and has been touted to be the most secure Android phone after the Blackberry priv.
blackberry_dtek50
However, where the name got me rolling my eyes a couple of times, the specs actually impressed me. The DTEK 50 will sport a 5.2-inch 1080p display, Snapdragon 617 processor, 3GB of RAM, 16GB of storage(expandable up to 2TB via microSD) and Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The 135g phone also comes with a 13MP rear-facing camera and an 8MP front-facing flash camera, the only downside to the specs is the battery, which has a 2,610mAh battery capacity
neon_angle3_onwhite_rev

However, considering that this device is going for $299, I’d say:
unnamed (8)
Meanwhile, this device is built by Alcatel even bears a similar resemblance to the Alcatel idol 4s. Also, check out some of the features that make the DTEK 50 the most secure smartphone:

• Rapid Security Patching: BlackBerry has a record of being the quickest to deliver security patches, setting the bar in incident response and patch management to protect your device from malicious threats.
  • DTEK™ by BlackBerry App: Enables users to automatically monitor their OS and apps to know when their privacy could be at risk and to take action to improve it. The DTEK app also tracks applications and notifies you when someone is: taking pictures or videos without your knowledge, turning your microphone on, sending a text message, or accessing your contacts or location.
  • Hardware Root of Trust: BlackBerry’s manufacturing process uses a proprietary technique that adds security from the start, allowing for the tracking, verification, and provisioning of DTEK50.
  • Secure Boot Process: Starting with the root of trust, each stage of DTEK50’s secure boot chain must first verify that the next component is fully intact before proceeding, ensuring your device has not been tampered with since the last restart.
  • Android OS hardening: BlackBerry provides additional security patches, improved random number, address space generation and certificate pinning to make it more difficult for attackers to target a device by scrambling application/system memory.
  • FIPS 140-2 Compliant Full Disk Encryption: Protects your private information, like pictures or bank information, from being stolen if you were to lose your phone.

_90522908_f088700
Has Blackberry hit a sweet spot with the DTEK 50?

16 comments on “Blackberry's Second Android Phone Has An Awful Name, But Is Loaded With Impressive Specs

The 5′ inch screen, 3GB RAM is dope but battery is very important, blackberry always find it hard to improve their battery capacity, don’t know why…

2. Victor Molokwu says:

Decent specs, The price ain’t decent…
    BB should find ways to make a dirt cheap device, would give them market share.

1. Titi says:

Ahn ahn Bros. So 299 is not decent enough? Haba fear God now. And I think the specs are more than decent especially for that price.

1. Victor Molokwu says:

Lol? …. I finally saw the specs on their website, they got almost all LTE bands covered(FD-LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 20, 29, 30) + 3gb RAM, I think I judged “Dtek50 and blackberry too quickly”..
        Or it was just Naira’s woes that was getting me all emotional.
        $1 was N375 as at today, God will provide for us sha.
        It is well.

3. We need dual Sim blackberry with better bat3 life abeg.
    This is not encouraging biko.

… WELL, I NEED TO SAY THAT THIS IS THE BEST SPEC TO PRICE MATCHING BLACKBERRY HAS EVER DONE. ALTHOUGH, AM SCEPTICAL ABOUT THE BATTERY LIFE, BUT ITS A GOOD DEVICE.
    ONE FUNNY THING IS THAT, I WAS READING ABOUT THE PHONE ON THE BLACKBERRY’S BLOG, AND I WAS ASKING MYSELF WHAT IS DTEK 50 ALL BECAUSE MY NETWORK WAS SLOW AND I COULDN’T SEE THE PICTURES…

5. raymp3 says:

BB really doing well

6. zita says:

Well the name is really awful, good enough specs except the battery. $299 is decent enough but when you convert it to naira you will sure have a change of mind

7. That’s probably the in-house name or code name for the phone, not the commercial name. Apparently, the leaker copied and pasted. Let’s wait and see the official launch.

1. Victor Molokwu says:

This is Not a leakers affair, Dtek50 is the official name, it’s on their website

2. Titi says:

It is the offical name going by the released video and what top blogs like TNW and others have said

8. Noni says:

I was actually going to ignore this phone but now I’m having second thoughts. Especially as BBM works so well on BlackBerry phones and the Hub saves me having to delete the same emails from different devices.

9. Harrie says:

Is it just me or does anyone else actually fancy the security logs???
    #JustSaying
    Cherrio

10. reap says:

That’s an amazing tech, with good specs buh, I do feel having some one use it before will make more sence