Yesterday was Apple’s developer conference and based on the reactions I saw online, it failed to impress a lot of people. Where many felt Apple reinvented the wheel, others felt the announcements were profound. Here is everything Apple announced at this year’s WWDC 2016 event, so you can decide for yourself.
1. WATCH OS 3 IS ABOUT TO GET PIMPED!
Well, the title pretty much explains what will happen to Apple’s Watch OS. Apple has announced that they are going to fix some of the biggest criticisms of the Apple Watch, which includes its slow speed, poor user interface, and over-reliance on Siri. Moving forward, Watch OS 3 will now load seven times faster than before, and will enable background processes. Other new features include Quick reply, SOS mode for emergencies, new health app, and the ability to unlock your MacBook automatically just by wearing the watch.
I must point out that some of these features, especially the Quick reply have already been implemented by Google. #JustSaying.
2. SLIGHT CHANGES ARE COMING TO APPLE’S TV OS
Apple announced that there are now over 6000 apps on its Apple TV and you can use SIRI to search through these apps (YouTube included). Oh, and there’s now a new Remote TV app for the iPhone and iPad.
3. YASS! MEET SIERA, THE NEW MAC OS
Apple has decided to replace OS X with Mac OS. The latest release will be called Sierra. It will have a lot of features like Universal Clipboard to help you copy text from your iPhone and paste on your Macbook. iCloud Drive to help offload older files so you can have more space. Continuity, a feature to help users automatically unlock Macs with an iPhone or Apple Watch. Apple pay to help you make payments via the web. Finally, Siri is coming to desktop and laptop computers for the first time!
A little bit late to the party given that Microsoft integrated Cortana last year.
4. iOS 10 IS HERE WITH NEW FEATURES, IMITATES MOTO X ACTIVE DISPLAY.
The iOS 10 will come with new features which include a new lock screen and home screen experience to allow the use of 3D touch to reply to a message or interact with apps right on the lock screen. Also, Apple has created a Siri SDK, which will help developers incorporate Siri into their apps. In other words, iOS 10 will allow you to use Siri to control third-party apps.
5. OTHER iOS 10 FEATURES
- Emoji AI is coming to iMessage, what this means is that iMessage can recommend emoji for you to use (Once again, a little bit late to the party, Check out how to get this on your Android/iOS devices with an app in subsequent posts). Also, iMessage will now have invisible ink that will allow users to tap to unblur a photo or text you have blurred.
- Apple’s Photo app borrows an idea from Google photos, Apple will incorporate a facial recognition feature to help you sort out your images, just like Google photos. There will be a map-view of your photos, similar to Instagram’s and a movie-based photo collation
- Apple music is going to get a makeover, they are also going to adopt a Spotify-like playlist that will show a playlist of music Apple thinks you’ll like every single day.
- Siri’s going to give Apple’s QuickType keyboard a boost.
- Apple News also gets a makeover, adopting almost the same design as the new Apple music.
- Finally, Apple is bringing in voicemail transcriptions and spam number detection! There’s also a new VoIP API that lets incoming calls from WhatsApp, FaceTime, look more like a normal phone call.
6. APPLE WANTS TO TEACH KIDS PROGRAMMING WITH SWIFT PLAYGROUND
This I loved! Apple introduced Swift Playground, an app that will teach users, especially kids how to code with Apple’s Swift programming language, right on the iPad. It is a game-like app and will definitely help kids think tech at a young age
There you have it, all the copied features plus exciting announcements from Apple.
Image Source: TNW