With over 186 million people living in the country, NCC reports that Nigeria currently has about 216 million connected telephone lines. This number comprises of GSM, CDMA, and Fixed wired/wireless operators. According to the report via Punch,  GSM operators  increased the numbers from 210 million to 211 million in March, the CDMA operators increased theirs from 3,678,068 to 3,678,796 while the fixed wired/wireless operators increased from 351,625 to 353,830.
Adebayo-Shittu
However, despite the number, Nigeria only has about 149 million active lines, with the GSM operators taking a larger chunk of that number – 147 million, the CDMA operators have about 1.2 million connected lines and the fixed wired/wireless operators just have about 176,579 lines.
The analysis also revealed the king players in the GSM market, According to it, MTN leads the pack with 57 million subscribers, Globacom with 34.6 million subscribers, Airtel with 33.9 million subscribers while Etisalat sadly has just 21.8 million subscribers.

nigeria gsm market share

11 comments on “Nigeria Now Has 216 Million Connected Telephone Lines, But Only 149 Million Lines Are Active

1. Uke Enun Jnr says:

Naija dey grow!, but eh i think its because most naija youths are in search of cheap call rates, cheap data rates and fast internet!…i mean, only me i get 4 SIM CARDS..(etiti, yellow paw-paw, green-man and red-demon)

1. Viklin says:

You no well

2. zita obeta says:

You are right@Uke
    Some have more for when cheat is available

3. Kaybang says:

Very poor numbers.
    Eh.. I know i’m a flintstone, but dose cdma, fixed wired/wireless numbers represent internet connectivity right? 😀 🙁

4. Uke Enun Jnr says:

Exactly, well said @antyZita

5. Anonymous says:

The future is here. Forerunners will reap a lot of benefits. #Digitalfuture

Not surprised, just me has up to 6 simcards.

7. Harrie says:

Frankly, if I’m not statistically mistaken, the youths bear the largest portion of active users and likewise in each SP’s count. CDMA count is unimpressive, poor how they value good technology. Oh well, MTN stands tall, and I’m guessing the figures will in but a few increase after MTN let the 4G info out of the bag, I mean, who does love faast??

8. Harrie says:

Frankly, if I’m not statistically mistaken, the youths bear the largest portion of active users and likewise in each SP’s count. CDMA count is unimpressive, poor how they value good technology. Oh well, MTN stands tall, and I’m guessing the figures will in but a few increase after MTN let the 4G info out of the bag, I mean, who doesn’t love faast??

9. Anonymous says:

You are deducting N55 weekly from my account for unsolicited messages. After every renewal you used to mention send to stop send *902#, unfortunately you don’t allow the message to reach I always received message not sent. I traced your Facebook page as a last resort to air my grievances. If you continue the illegal deduction I may destroy resort to destroying the sim card aim using for almost a decade.