I saw a tweet from @ba55ey showing a speed test on NTEL’s 4G/LTE Internet. (I Can’t confirm the accuracy of the test).

After checking the comments on several forums and blogs, I realized that a lot of people think with this result, NTEL might be the Moses of Internet in Nigeria without taking into consideration some elements that might affect it. One element is over-subscription.
How much capacity has NTEL provisioned per subscriber? For example, imagine that NTEL has 5000 customers, each of which has a 50 Mbps Internet connection,  immediately these customers connect, all of the traffic for the 5000 customers is aggregated and sent in and out of the network. However, most of these service providers do not provision their capacity with the assumption that all customers will be uploading and downloading at their peak speed at the same time (5000 customers x 50Mbps = 25000 Mbps), instead, it over-subscribes the bandwidth using a specialized model.
So, Yes! Ntel wants to offer 900/1800MHz spectrum and a high-speed Internet Access of up to 230Mbps, but you can only know how good it will be when it accumulates a large number of subscribers.
For those of you that are excited with the results, bear in mind that this is a post-roll out stage and things might get cranky later. (Not that I want it to).

8 comments on “Here's Why You Shouldn't Get All Excited About NTEL's BroadBand Speed Test Just Yet.

1. Cirphrank says:

#Singing : Things are getting better…
    Anyway.

All these things only favor those in the major cities (like Lagos, PH, Abuja) other places has not seen the best of 3G network talk more of 4GLTE

3. Osakwe tochukwu says:

It wont favour just people in metro cities for long…other areas will get it soon. The good thing about this is that it will force other netwk providers to upgrade their ntwk to 4g or lte if not the competition will drown u. Miss techy pls is ntel open to subscribers now? My phone is lte enabled i wanna test it to see how fast it can go

4. Covenant Oyetade says:

It might be too early to pass comments on this. I think we should wait till more subscribers join the race.

… WELL, JUST LIKE FOOTBALLERS BOAST AFTER EACH TRAINING, THE REAL MATCH WILL DETERMINE HOW GOOD THEIR TRAINING HAS BEEN. I WILL BE PATIENT WITH THIS!…

… WELL, JUST LIKE FOOTBALLERS BOAST AFTER EACH TRAINING, THE REAL MATCH WILL DETERMINE HOW GOOD THEIR TRAINING HAS BEEN. I WILL BE PATIENT FOR THIS!…

7. Carlito says:

Have you heard of the word carrier aggregation before…. Let’s be positive for once. I am super excited already about this network’s roll out. Enough of crappy services.

8. kenny says:

If it really last long, that’s some speed