GLO's Large Internet User Base Shows That Sometimes, Price Is All That Matters

If you ask anyone in Nigeria to list out the Telcos with the best Internet services in terms of quality, I am so sure Etisalat will be number one on the list with MTN tagging along, then GLO and Airtel fighting for the 3rd or 4th place. However, Etisalat’s very good Internet services could not translate to a large Internet user base as reports have it that Globacom gained the highest number of new Internet subscribers from August – December.
nigeria's internet base globacom internet user bse
Image Source: NCC
After using GLO for some days (location – Ikeja), I wonder how they got to that level given their rather poor Internet services. Do you remember when people tried to improve their phone’s reception by hanging it in the air? Well, I had the same experience while using Glo, I moved from the window to the top of the TV, and other places I dare not mention here, all in a bid to get better Internet speed.
download (17)
Mind you, it being on 3G or Edge didn’t improve anything. Don’t get me wrong, they have their good days, but their bad days outweigh their good.
download (16)
Why are people still subscribing? One word – Price. Glo has one of the cheapest data – N1,500 will get you 2.5GB data and N8,000, 24GB among many others.
Which brings me to this conclusion – most Nigerians will rather sacrifice quality if they get to pay less.
Another truth is, in a country like Nigeria, you cannot eat your cake and have it – if you want quality, go for the expensive ones, if you aren’t bothered about the quality, the cheap data might be your best bet.
This, my friends, is the painful truth.

11 comments on “GLO's Large Internet User Base Shows That Sometimes, Price Is All That Matters

1. Rotimi Popoola says:

You can get good at hi speeds at mid nights Misstechy I use data to browse at midnight at very fast speeds

2. Jide says:

Glo is very fast at night even in road 7 area of Ile-Ife and cheapest 3Gb for 1K but Etisalat is d fastest.

3. Chukwudi says:

My god i thought it was just me. You people are tqlking about midnight speed so because of glo i should turn to a vampire abi? Glo is terrible during day time, i just tire. The truth is, i bought it becausr of cheap data, but i had to let it go because of d frustration i felt.
    Apologies for the typo i am typing in annoyance

4. Bodexowen says:

I use Glo for browsing and its relatively fast (campus booster plan sha) location (Unilag)

5. Anonymous says:

Glo?? Tufia. I cant dare use glo in my area, agege. Very terrible. Sadly i have to go with etisalat which is rather expensive.

… Well, I have always have this hatred for glo. For me, Airtel is always my best bet. If am on EDGE/GPRS with my Airtel, its a million times faster than glo on HSDPA. Team Airtel all the way(though, I trust Mtn too and Etisalat’s quality can’t be thrown away…

7. felix says:

I’ld rather spend on quality than quantity… #team mtn

8. zita obeta says:

Glo service here is very frustrating, makes one want to hit her head on the wall

9. Ayodele says:

Honestly, for Glo to come out with those cheap internet rates while having a very shitty network just smacks of irresponsibility. I hope Tobi remembers some years back when they made noise about the the Glo-1 submarine cable as well as having deployed LTE services. It just turned out to be one huge SCAM!
    People say Etisalat has the fastest internet speed of the four of them, but they are just as useless as far as I’m concerned. You load N1,000 worth of data and it gets zapped before I can spell AYODELE. I won’t even deal with them with a 1,000 metre pole.

10. prime says:

Dunno about Etisalat o as where I stay… Etisalat practically doesn’t exist ere talkless of for Internet. Mtn is d best… All others are second.

11. showiz says: