MTN Finally Succumbs To The Nigerian Government.

According to the Vanguard Newspaper, MTN has finally agreed to pay the N1.04 trillion fine made against it by the Nigerian Communication Commission for violating its directive on SIM deactivation.
MTN-vs-Whatsapp
According to the article, the Vice president of Nigeria, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo held a meeting with MTN’s South African and Nigerian team. I guess your predictions that MTN will get out of this did not come to pass.
Vanguard’s source was quoted saying:

“There have been series of meeting at the Presidency between the Vice President Osinbajo and MTN team both from South Africa and the Nigerian arm. MTN wanted a waiver considering their level of investments in the country, but government did not buy the idea of waiver. Instead, I think there will be concession, but certainly not a waiver. At the conclusion of the meeting, the MTN people negotiated on how to stagger the payment. The Presidency is even angry because MTN was a signatory to the regulation, but they are failing to comply with rules.”

Thinking about it right now, N1.04 trillion is a lot!

10 comments on “MTN Finally Succumbs To The Nigerian Government.

1. Chris says:

That’s a while lot of money.
    MTN will do all it can to regain this amount. MTN subscribers, be ready for Surprises lol.
    When you Load N100, flash someone then MTN sends a your a message, ‘You have Exhausted your Call credit’ ?

1. showiz says:

we simply port to another network..only people using mtn for up 15years might feel the effect of porting

I thought MTN will find a way out of this, but since they’ve agreed to pay, its alright.
    The money is too much, I think the payment will be paid by installment.

3. Tosin Smith says:

Good for them but like Chris rightly said, Mtn users prepare to suffer for it indirectly

4. ojooluwakayode says:

Era of the clueless hat wearing clown from otueke that gives out waivers at the risk of the country’s economy is over MTN pay ur debt

5. kasy says:

That a lot of ego$$…
    Kreative pic tho..

6. FELIX says:

I pray they dont recover the fıne from us. #mtn ıpulse

Ok. I don’t know if this is general but I (+ people living around here) have not seen any MTN network coverage on my phone.
    And all my line are MTN. I’ve not tweet or check MissTechy blog since yesterday cuz of this.
    This has affected my chase on MissTechy competition.

8. Joshua says:

mtn users are about to start suffering serious airtime loss,
    you load 4H , flash someone and you have no credit ;-):-D

9. Covenant Oyetade says:

MTN has made far more than that as profits in Nigeria so, for me, i don’t pity them. If not for Glo we would still be buying Sim’s at very exorbitant prices.
    Let them pay or they should just get out! Thank God, Ntel is here to the rescue.