Sony Xperia Z3+ Arrives, And It Is Far From What You'd Expect

Yesterday, Sony Officially announced the Sony Xperia Z3+  – I am sure you are wondering what became of the Z4 that was announced some months back, well Sony deemed it fit to only launch the Z4 in China and is making available the Z3+ for the rest of the world – call it some type of re-branding.

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.48.56 AM

I tried comparing the Xperia Z3 with the Z3+ in terms of specifications and I must admit  the changes are so minimal hence the name Z3+. You should bear in mind that  the Z3+ is Sony’s latest flagship phone that is meant to compete with the likes of Samsung S6, HTC M9 and other flagship phones released for Q1 and Q2.

Let’s take a look and some of its minimal improvement:

The Xperia Z3+ still has the iconic glass back design and also shares the same height and width dimensions with the Z3, but the added “plus” to the latest flagship is in its thick – the Z3+ is thinner than the Z3 with a 6.9mm as opposed to a 7.3mm on the Z3.

SONY XPERIA Z3+
Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.49.28 AM

SONY XPERIA Z3

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 7.09.48 AM

Another plus is in its weight – The Xperia Z3+ is lighter than the Xperia Z3 at 144g for the Z3+ and 152g for the Xperia Z3. Since the Z3+ is slimmer than its predecessor, they had no choice but to reduce the battery – the Z3+ comes with a 2930mAh battery rather than the 3100mAh on the Z3. However, you get to charge your battery on time with its inbuilt Qualcomm’s QuickCharge 2.0.

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.48.32 AM

Another major plus is in the MicroUSB port, The Z3+ comes with a capless USB port despite the device being waterproof. Now you don’t have to fiddle with the port cap when charging. Despite having the same RAM with its Predecessor, The Z3+ also comes with an octa- core snapdragon 810 processor as opposed to the Z3’s Snapdragon 801 quad-core processor.

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.49.42 AM

Also the Front camera has been boosted to 5MP and can go into Auto mode – just like the rear camera, However, no changes have been made to the rear camera as the Z3+ still packs the same 20.7MP sensor with Exmor RS image on the rear. :’(

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.49.05 AM

I don’t really understand Sony’s Strategy, however,  it is going to be really confusing when Japan gets a Z5 and the rest of the world gets a z4 in 6 months time.

In the meantime, Has sony given you enough reasons to change to its new flagship phone?

I wonder how much this would cost…hmmn

28 comments on “Sony Xperia Z3+ Arrives, And It Is Far From What You'd Expect

1. Kay says:

USB port capless yet still water proof? :/
    Or did I not read correctly?

1. Tobi Ayeni says:

Lol I was shocked when I read it on Sony’s Blog – They even added that The USB port needs to be fully dried before charging if the phone has been exposed to water.

1. Kay says:

lol. charge and die tinz when wet. 😆
        The only thing I fancy about the phone (apart from all the awesome specs of course) is the 5mp front cam.
        When sony says it’s 5, it is 5 (not like all the “you know who(s)” we have today).
        Considering the fact that I am looking at Vlogging and Kola (from BetaMo makes crisp videos with her 2mp selfie cam on her iPhone.
        I think the 5 will be a kill 😉 dnt you?

1. Tobi Ayeni says:

But you know you can;t compare the IPhone camera with android’s – the Iphone has a 1GB ram but hardly crashes – this can’t be said of the android counterpart

1. Kay says:

Android is opensource so that is expected.
            Considering the fact that Apple makes the software AND the hardware components of their phones.
            lol.
            Just like comparing MS’s Surface Pro 3 (256/512) with Asus’s Taichi brands. >>>> MURDER! 😈

2. Phoenixskywalker says:

Iphone hardly crashes? Maybe you have seen it but I have seen quite a few on different iphones. But the easiest way to get an iphone to crash or get sluggish is to upgrade it’s OS. The pre-installed version is highly tuned to suit the current hardware. But when they release the next iteration, that’s when trouble starts for the older models.

3. Tobi Ayeni says:

True that but if we are making a comparison about RAM, the iPhone 6 isn’t supposed to survive heavy gaming at all

2. Phoenixskywalker says:

I guess it isn’t that much different from the capless headphone ports of Xperia Z3 and it was also waterproof.

2. vjsmiles says:

Tcjeeew i wonder why a phone company wouldnt want to build a phone that will be able to compete with the topmost(apple samsung htc)
    Their camera 29.7mp not even near the iphone 8mp..
    How pathetic…
    Stick with my htc one m9 ;D

1. Tobi Ayeni says:

Lol — angry vjsmiles :p

2. Phoenixskywalker says:

It’s actually 20.7 and it is quite great actually. The problem is that they didn’t get the software part right. Try an xperia cam with a 3rd party camera app and see the difference.

3. vjsmiles says:

No sweethrt….
    It is really frustratiing i must say..
    I have been an ardent fan of sony since the emergence of the sony X-peria(the first set)
    But my love for sony just diminished to zeri with their recent releases…

1. Tobi Ayeni says:

True though – If this is supposed to compete with the likes of Samsung and HTC then it is below par.

4. Fides_RYM says:

More like a Z- to me….

5. Kay says:

BTW. Tgirl, dnt you think that opinion stage thing on the sidebar is obsolete already?
    And TBH; I’m enjoying what you do. Keep it high girl.
    Keep Kicking Ass.

1. Tobi Ayeni says:

Thanks for your valued opinion Kay.
      #YouRock

6. Sixtools says:

And she dragged us from Nairaland to here. Sony Xperia, its been long i read about smart phones, i used to be a hardcore smartphone lover knowing all the OS and always hard reseting and rooting my poor LG phone (Trust me the phone suffered in my hands). But now I am off the market its a pity, except you have the power to drag me back.

1. Fides_RYM says:

Don’t worry, once you see the updates coming to Android M,, dragging you back in would be the least of anyone’s problem…. you’d drag yourself back in, then

2. Tobi Ayeni says:

Yay nice to have you here @Sixtools
      First question, is your name Rita?
      2nd Question, What are you interested in now?

7. Gori says:

Anyhow shaa. The Samsung galaxy s6 edge is still the best phone in the whole wide world.

8. Kelvin says:

Lol. I don’t understand Sony. Are they expecting this phone to rival with G4 and the likes? I’m not impressed with this.

9. innocent says:

Sony still haven’t made me proud….the reason for the heavy price tag is beginning to get blurry

10. BOJ says:

Sony Xperia is a great phone (I know this cos i use one) and it’s worth every penny. The durability is its major feature, not much fancy. The features of the z3+ is about exactly the same as the z4, there’s no distinct/major upgrade which makes me suspect that the z4 will be limited to Japan only.

1. innocent says:

Sony needs a new design strategy in the hardware and software department

1. BOJ says:

Sony have done really good on their designs on the past few models, and a waterproof phone with open ports is a huge step in mobile technology design. The z3+ also has a dedicated camera button to make snapping photos underwater a lot easier. You need to actually handle the Xperia Z series to appreciate the exclusive features Sony is giving it’s customers

11. vjsmiles says:

Tcheew all of you defending Sony you are O.Y.o 🙁

12. vjsmiles says:

Useless phone for an exorbitant price 🙁